Wednesday, October 1, 2014

If You Ever Want To Look Like An Elf


Bonjour. Aloha. Mae Govannen.

The other day I broke a little bit out of my comfort zone in terms of hair. Normally I wear my locks down and wavy. Nothing special. Nothing memorable. Nothing that anybody would care to see me make a blog post about. 

However, after watching (and falling in love with) The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit I decided to create a simplified version of an elf-esque hairstyle. Who doesn't want to look like Tauril?

For those uncultured people who have never seen The Lord of the Rings and can only picture Santa's Helpers when I say elves, let me open your mind to the beauty of Middle Earth. Elves in Tolkien's world are tall, beautiful and ageless. Their hair tends to cascade past their narrow hips and is often braided up into intricate spirals. Again, who doesn't want that?

Obviously, seeing as I am only 5'4 and my hair just brushes my elbows, I can't create a look exactly like an elf. I also don't have the capability; my hair expertise stops at french braids. But I tried, and this is how it went.

Basically, I pulled back my hair from both sides and french braided each side until I reached the back of my head. I tied both braids together with a clear elastic and set off to fight some Orcs (or went to school...same thing)! If you wanted to add a little more elf-ness, you could braid the two braids into one once they meet at the back of your head. 
My sister actually said I had elf hair before I told her it was elf inspired, so I think it's a pretty good representation!

 Even if you could care less about The Lord of the Rings, I still recommend this hairstyle. It takes less than 5 minutes to do, and is effortlessly chic with just a little touch of boho! 


Flairwell! 
x

(p.s. if anybody wants to see more hair posts, let me know!) 






8 comments :

  1. Very cute! I've always loved doing intricate hairstyles, but after chopping a lot of my hair off back in March it's been more difficult to find styles to do!
    x Erin
    http://louiseerin.blogspot.com.au/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm actually the opposite- I find that my long hair makes it a bit harder to do intricate hairstyles because you have to work with so much! The grass is always greener on the other side, I guess! x
      -Emily

      Delete
  2. Ahh, how pretty! I gotta get some new hairstyles in my repertoire; I'm so stuck on ponytails and braids!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm sadly stuck in the same rut you are, I just branched out a little here! x (p.s. I adore your blog x )

      Delete
  3. This is so cute! xx
    fashionismyfirstlanguage.blogspot.ie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! If I remember correctly you love The Hobbit/The Lord of the Rings as well, so I hope you enjoyed the references! Haha x

      Delete